Monday, August 3, 2009

Seattle's Ring

Thanks to the generosity of a phenomenal friend (who, by the way, might have been there himself had it not been for his grandpa's 80th Birthday!!) I was able to go see Rheingold at Seattle Opera las Saturday night.  Just ever so slightly bummed that I was going to miss a beautiful evening playing with my nephew and eating greasy pizza and ice cream, I made my way over to the beautiful McCaw Hall in downtown Seattle (if I hadn't forgotten my camera cable, I would post pictures here) for the dress rehearsal of the first opera in Wagner's Ring.  I confess I've never been much of a Wagner buff, so it's definitely time for me to brush up and get with the program.

Suffice it to say that I haven't gasped in amazement or laughed out loud at an opera in a long while.  The sets, evoking the natural beauty of the Pacific Northwest, were absolutely magnificent (never before have I seen people swimming in air lit to such perfection that you really believed you were underwater with the Norns!), the costumes beautifully made, and the singing impeccable.  Greer Grimsley must be especially singled out for his flawless portrayal of the head-God, Wotan.  I didn't think I'd ever hear a Wotan that I liked more than James Morris, but I challenge you to find me a richer, smoother, and more expressive voice than that of Mr. Grimsley.  Richard Paul Fink was an appropriately disgusting yet somehow also an utterly lovable Alberich, while I was also particularly taken with the clear, bright voice of Froh, sung by tenor Jason Collins.  

You don't really expect moments of hysterical laughter in a Wagner opera, but you know what?  Make people laugh and they pay a lot more attention.  And if you can do that while at the same time showing off the most exquisite vocal talent, doing justice to the story, and entertaining your audiences, you must be doing something right.

No comments:

Post a Comment