Thursday, June 3, 2010

Banding together

I was truly amazed to see the reactions to the news of opera singer John Young's unfortunate battle with throat cancer. Without health insurance John was struggling to pay for his treatment. Friends of his - perhaps even strangers - banded together and put on a benefit recital last night, June 2nd, at Trinity Church in Manhattan. Sadly I could not attend, but I have no doubt that the place must have been packed as I continuously saw - on Facebook mostly but also emails from friends and friends of friends - postings about the concert, and information from people advocating for John, even asking people to donate if they could not attend.

I have no doubt this would have occurred in any other circle, but it is noteworthy I think that at the drop of a hat, singers will donate their talent, their livelihood, their all to support one another. Haiti. Chile. Breast Cancer. You name it... that's what we have: our voices, and we are prepared to use them for good pretty much anytime.

I think that is truly admirable, and we wish John Young a full and speedy recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment